SIA Richmond 2018 – Call For Papers
Society for Industrial Archeology
47th Annual Conference
The Society for Industrial Archeology invites proposals for presentations and poster displays at the 47th Annual Conference in Richmond, Virginia, May 30-June 3, 2018. The presentation sessions will be held at the conference hotel, the Omni Richmond Hotel, on Saturday, June 2, 2018.
We invite presentations on all topics related to industrial archeology, history of technology, social change related to industry, and historic industrial structures and bridges. Papers about regional Mid-Atlantic industries and transportation are particularly encouraged. Poster displays can be on works in progress or finished projects. All presentations and poster displays should offer both interpretation and synthesis of data.
The deadline for proposals is January 31, 2018.
Presentation Formats: Proposals may be for individual presentations 20 minutes in length, a group of three or four presentations on a common theme filling a 90-minute session, or a 90-minute panel discussion with 2-5 discussants (a formal moderator is optional, but encouraged). SIA will provide computers, data projectors, screens, microphones, and speakers as needed in each presentation room. Posters will be on display all day Saturday with a dedicated time for poster presenters to be present at their poster for discussion.
Proposal Formats: Proposals should be submitted online unless special arrangements have been made. Each proposal must include:
- The presentation title (you will indicate the type of presentation—single paper, session proposal, or poster—on the submission form)
- A 150-300-word abstract that outlines the scope, findings, and conclusions of the presentation
- Contact information including name, affiliation, email address, mailing address, and telephone number for each presenter
- A brief biographical statement of 100-150 words for each presenter
- The software (incl. version) used to create your presentation and any additional audio-visual requests beyond the standard equipment listed above.
For 90-minute themed sessions or panel discussions, the organizer should submit a title and a brief description of the theme, along with all above information together as a group as prompted on the online submission form. If any of these items is missing, the proposal cannot be considered. Note that the above word counts apply separately to each presenter in a group. Also note that all speakers are expected to pay the registration fee (for either the full conference or one-day rate).
For further information, please see http://www.sia-web.org/sia-47th-annual-conference/.
For questions please contact: Paul White, SIA Presentations Committee Chair, email@example.com